Designate Your Assets for Gettysburg's Future
Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
- Bank or Brokerage Account
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name Gettysburg College as a beneficiary:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
See How It Works
Learn MoreView Our Free Guide
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?
Get your FREE personal estate planning kit.Download Now
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and Gettysburg over the years. The couple recently updated their wills to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left Gettysburg a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetimes. Because Gettysburg is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
- Contact us for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support Gettysburg with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name Gettysburg in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID and share a copy of the relevant provision with the College.
Legal Name: Gettysburg College
Address: 300 N. Washington Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325
Federal Tax ID Number: 23-1352641
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results. Annuities are subject to regulation by the State of California. Payments under such agreements, however, are not protected or otherwise guaranteed by any government agency or the California Life and Health Insurance Guarantee Association. A charitable gift annuity is not regulated by the Oklahoma Insurance Department and is not protected by a guaranty association affiliated with the Oklahoma Insurance Department. Charitable gift annuities are not regulated by and are not under the jurisdiction of the South Dakota Division of Insurance.